The greatest feature of Reiki is its simplicity however there is couple of tips that will make your first experience more enjoyable.
- If possible, take a shower before your session. It will help you release stress and remove any scents from lotions and perfumes that may be distracting to the senses.
- Use deodorant but avoid fragrances. Your sense of smell will open up through the treatment as you will be breathing deeply in and out as it is meant to happen naturally. Because you are relaxing you will be more aware of all your senses and strong fragrances may become distracting.
- Preferably wear loose and comfortable clothing. If your clothes are to tight they may restrict your circulation, loose clothing is best.
- Empty your pockets. You don't want to feel your car keys pocking your leg or change falling on the floor. Some jewelry can get in the way and may be uncomfortable. It is better if you avoid bringing wrist watches, bracelets and necklaces. Place all your personal belongings in your bag before the session starts.
- Be prepare to take your shoes off. Reiki rooms are sacred spaces and are worth all the respect. Just like when you go to a yoga class or a massage therapy, your shoes should be left outside the room.
- If you are not feeling at ease with something, please say so. Even if you are half way through the treatment; It is OK to interrupt the session if necessary. Some examples are music being too loud or not loud enough, lights being to bright, temperature being too cold or too hot or any noises that may be annoying. For example, the sound of a water fountain may be relaxing for some and annoying to others. Make sure to let your practitioner know about your preferences, they want you to feel comfortable.
- You don't have to tell your Reiki practitioner about your health issues. They work with their intuition and Reiki will flow wherever it is needed including the areas that you may not be aware of. If you want to release information it is ok but not necessary.
- Have an open mind, relax and focus on your breathing. As you feel relaxed your body will find ways to communicate through thoughts, visions or feelings that you experience. Have fun with this and be patient. If you fall sleep is even better your body is completely relaxed and so it is healing.
I wish you find the tips above helpful and that you are ready to take your journey with Reiki. Enjoy your Reiki session!